Carla Suarez Navarro and Venus Williams will play each other in the 1st round of Rogers Cup for the 11th time of their career.
1.Carla Suarez Navarro: results and record
Ranked no. 26, the Spaniard will start her run in Toronto after she played her last match in San Jose where she lost 3-6 6-2 6-4 to Sabalenka in the quarter the 2nd of August. Suarez Navarro has a 15-15 win-loss record in 2019, 7-8 on hard.
2.Venus Williams: results and record
Ranked no. 56, the American will start her run in Toronto after she played her last match in San Jose where she lost 6-74 6-3 6-1 to Mattek-Sands in the 1st round the 30th of July.Williams has a 14-9 win-loss record in 2019, 11-5 on hard.
3.What is the shape of the players in the last 5 matches?
- Carla Suarez Navarro
- Last result: 6-3 2-6 4-6 vs Sabalenka
- Shape: L W W L W
Iberica comes after a decent tournament in San Jose, where it reached the quarterfinals. After the victories at Magda Linette and Mattek Sands, Navarro was eliminated by favorite Belarus No.2 Sabalenka, who would also play the final of the tournament.
It should be noted that Suarez Navarro and Venus could meet last week, but the American was defeated by compatriot Mattek Sands, and thus missed the meeting with the Spanish player.
Last year, Navarro managed no less than 4 consecutive wins in the Rogers Cup, as a result of having to play in qualifying. Even so, reaching the 3rd round was an excellent performance for the Spanish player.
- Venus Williams
- Last result: 7-6 3-6 1-6 vs Mattek-Sands
- Shape: L L L W W
The great American champion, even if at the end of his career, remains the same powerful and dangerous player, who on a good day can beat anyone.
He is going through a poor period in results, his last victory being recorded at the end of June, on the grass in Birmingham.
Last week she was defeated in the inaugural round by compatriot Mattek-Sands in San Jose, a sportswoman who is ranked outside the top 400.
Last year she was eliminated at the Rogers Cup by Simona Halep, in the 3rd round, after she had previously defeated another Romanian, Sorana Cirstea.
4.News, analysis, statistics and progress about the 2 players.
- He holds the 26th WTA position.
- The best performance at the Rogers Cup is a quarter-final, which was achieved in 2014, being defeated by Venus himself.
- 17 victories and 15 defeats is Iberian’s record this year.
- Has 3 wins and 7 defeats in the matches against Venus.
- He has 2 career titles, in Doha in 2016 and Qeiras in 2014.
- He is 56th WTA this week.
- He has defeated Suarez-Navarro in the last 5 games.
- 5 wins and 2 defeats is the score of the hard-fought meetings between Venus and Carla.
- He played the final in 2014 at the Rogers Cup, being defeated by Radwanska.
- He has an impressive record of 49 WTA titles, including 7 Grand Slam titles.
Tennis Prediction of the Day Carla Suarez Navarro vs Venus Williams
This will be the 11th time that Carla Suarez Navarro and Venus Williams square off. The head to head is 7-3 for Williams (see full H2H stats), 5-2 on hard.The last time that they squared off, Williams won 7-64 6-1 in the 2nd round in Miami back in March 2019.
Prediction Today: Carla Suarez Navarro