Belinda Bencic and Naomi Osaka meet in the fourth round of the 2019 tennis US Open.Belinda Bencic is coming off a walkover victory over Anett Kontaveit after withdrawing due to an illness. Bencic has played just five sets to get to this point and will obviously have a major rest advantage given that she hasn’t played a match since Thursday. In her last match, Bencic won 62 percent of her total serve points, gave herself 12 break points and hit 27 winners. Bencic has to clean up the unforced errors, which has been an issue lately even before this tournament, but conditioning is often king in grand slam play, and she’s the freshest player on tour at the moment. Bencic has a chance to win four straight matches for the first time since Mallorca back in June. Bencic looks to make her second career grand slam quarterfinal and first since the 2014 US Open. Bencic is 1-3 in career grand slam fourth round matches. Bencic has won five of her last seven matches on hard court.
Naomi Osaka is coming off a straight sets win over Coco Gauff that took 15 games to decide. In the victory, Osaka won 74 percent of her first serve points and 41 percent of her second serve points. Osaka won 59 percent of her total service points and converted on six of her seven break points. Osaka got 55 percent of her first serves in play, saved three of her five break points and hit five aces. Osaka won each of the last eight games and finished the match in a little over an hour, easily her best showing of the tournament. Osaka hopes to make her third career grand slam quarterfinal and second in the US Open. Osaka is 2-1 in grand slam fourth round matches. Osaka has won five of her last six matches on hard court.
These two have played four times and Bencic has won the last three, which includes the most recent match this year in Madrid. Osaka’s only win over Bencic came in 2013 ITF play. Three of the four matches were decided in straight sets. Bencic has the rest advantage, the h2h advantage and has been a giant killer all year long. In fact, Bencic has eight wins this year over top-10 players, with two of those wins coming against Osaka. Also, Osaka will have to be sharper with her second serve if she’s going to win this match. With all that said, I still lean toward Osaka given the power and focus she played in her last match. If she plays at that level moving forward, she’s the best in the field and should probably be favored to win the tournament. We’ve made a lot of money backing Bencic this year, but Osaka has the edge heading into this match.
1.What is the shape of the players in the last 5 matches?
- Naomi Osaka
- Last result: 2-0 vs Cori Gauff
- Shape: W W W L W
WTA leader Naomi Osaka meets Belinda Bencic in the US Open, her opponent leading 3-1 in direct meetings. The two met last time in the quarterfinals in Madrid, and then the Swiss player prevailed with 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.Osaka is the US Open title champion, and this year he has passed in the first three laps of Blinkova, Linette and Gauff. So far, he has given up only one set. This year, Osaka also won the Australian Open title, but in the rest he did not win any other tournament.
- Belinda Bencic
- Last result: Walkover – Anett Kontaveit has retired
- Shape: W W W L L
Belinda Bencic won this year’s third WTA career title in Dubai, after defeating Petra Kvitova in the final. The Swiss game works perfectly on the hard, due to its powerful hits.At the US Open, Bencic played a quarter-final at the 2014 edition, when he was eliminated by Shuai Peng. This year, he went through the first few tours of Minella and Cornet, and then had an extra day off after Kontaveit retired.
2.News, analysis, statistics and progress about the 2 players.
- It ranks 1st WTA.
- He is 21 years old.
- He has won 3 WTA titles, two of them Grand Slam.
- Last year, she won the US Open final against Serena Williams, score 6-2, 6-4. .
- He won $ 11.3 million from tennis.
- It ranks 12th WTA.
- He’s 22 years old.
- Won 3 WTA titles and played another 6 finals.
- Last year, he lost in the first round at the US Open in front of Aliksandrei Sasnovich.
- He won $ 4.8 million from tennis.
Last meeting:Belinda Bencic beat Naomi Osaka 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
- Naomi Osaka dropped a set in her first match at the US Open as a reigning champion but has not looked back since and completed her second successive straight-sets victory to reach the round of 16 when she defeated Coco Gauff.
- The world number one shared a touching post-match interview with American starlet Gauff which has endeared her all the more with the US Open crowd and indeed the tennis world.
- 21-year-old Osaka dropped just one set in her entire US Open campaign last year to Aryna Sabalenka at this stage of the competition.
- 13th-seed Belinda Bencic was given an extended rest and a bye to the round of 16 by her third-round opponent Anna Kontaveit who was forced to pull out of the US Open.
- The Swiss number one reached as far as the quarter-finals in her US Open debut back in 2014 and this is her fourth appearance here at just 22 years old.
- Bencic has won all three professional matches against Naomi Osaka, including the 2018 Hopman Cup win for Switzerland, but their previous match at Madrid this year went down to the wire.
Tennis Prediction of the Day Naomi Osaka vs Belinda Bencic
Naomi Osaka’s tearful post-match interview with Coco Gauff went viral on Sunday and despite her status as the Japanese number one, US crowds have always supported the 21-year-old as one of their own. With this in mind, this could be the day that Osaka beats Belinda Bencic for the first time in their young careers, as while Bencic has had the extra day of rest there is a momentum with Osaka, particularly at this Grand Slam, that inspires confidence in her.
Prediction Today: Belinda Bencic +1.5 sets