Serena Williams still seems to be the main favorite when she wins a new Grand Slam title, despite her high age. She meets in the quarterfinals on the Chinese Qiang Wang, who is at the best performance in a Grand Slam tournament.
- Reaching the age of 37, the legendary American player is still in excellent form, playing the Wimbledon final, where he was defeated by the Romanian Simona Halep.
- Being in the 8th WTA at the moment, in the current season he has participated in a few tournaments, reaching only in the quarters at the Australian Open and in the third round at Roland Garros.
- She was forced to withdraw in the Toronto final against Biancai Andreescu, but in this tournament she lost only one set in the previous 4 matches, against her young compatriot Caty Mcnally.
- The 27-year-old player from China, currently ranks 18th in the WTA rankings, being very close to the best career ranking, 14th.
- The current season was not very consistent for Wang, the best results being obtained at Indian Wells and Miami, where he stopped in the finals, respectively in the quarterfinals.
- Semi-finalist in the tournament 2 weeks ago in the Bronx, at the US Open exceeded all expectations, managing to surprise the final of the finals by winning in front of favorite No. 2, Ashleigh Barty, in minimum sets.
1. Direct meetings
The two players have not met so far in the circuit, and this will be the first direct confrontation between the two players.
2.What is the shape of the players in the last 5 matches?
- Serena Williams
- Last result: 6-3 6-4 vs Martic
- Shape: W W W W L
Serena Williams seems to have a long way to go for the coveted 24th Grand Slam title, both her game and the eclipse of her rivals, making this all the more likely.
Americanca gave up only one set so far, in the second round, surprisingly, in front of compatriot McNally, the one who managed to win the first set of the match, forcing Serena to return from 0-1. There was no problem for the great champion, this one imposing itself categorically and yielding only 4 games in the sets 2 and 3.
Against Wang, Serena could meet a stronger resistance, knowing that the Chinese player has a varied game, with surprising hits. However, if he imposes his force game and minimizes unforced errors, normally the American does not will have problems.
- Qiang Wang
- Last result: 6-2 6-4 vs Barty
- Shape: W W W W L
Wang produced the surprise of the previous round, eliminating Australian Barty, the winner from Paris this summer. The Chinese performance was sensational, with Barty having no chance during the match. Especially Wang’s defensive game was high, forcing his opponent to hit the limit and making many mistakes during the match.
Also, Wang’s service worked excellent, gaining 67% of the points played on his own maid, without losing a break.
Before Barty, Wang sent Dolehide, Van Uytvanck, and Ferro home, the Asian not releasing any set so far.
3.News, analysis, statistics and progress about the 2 players.
- He occupies the 8th position this week.
- It has 9 finals played at Us Open so far.
- He won the title 6 times in New York, the last time in 2014.
- In the last 9 participations has always reached at least until the semifinals.
- He has only 5 defeats this year.
- It is ranked 18th WTA.
- It’s the best season of my career.
- Until this year he had never passed the third round at the Us Open.
- It is the first presence in the quarters of a Grand Slam tournament.
- Us Open is his favorite tournament, as the only one declares.
Tennis Prediction of the Day Serena Williams vs Qiang Wang
I do not see how the Chinese player’s game could cause problems for Serena Williams, even if he is very caring, but not aggressive enough. The Americanca will control the ball exchanges from behind the field by force, it is hard to believe that Qiang Wang managed to walk Serena Williams all over the field, following the hosts’ representative to win a victory in the minimum set.
Prediction Today: 2:0