Simona Halep, the world number two, announced that she is “unlikely” to play in the US Open, a Grand Slam tournament, due to the sanitary protocol strictly imposed by the organizers, in the context of the coronavirus pandemic, she told Reuters spokeswoman for the athlete.
The American Tennis Federation (USTA) received the green light to organize the tournament in New York, according to the initial calendar, between August 31 and September 13, but without spectators.
Among those who said they could not respect such a thing are Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty.
Strictly imposed protocol for US Open prevents Simona Halep from going to US Grand Slam
New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that USTA will take “extraordinary precautions” to protect players, including massive testing, extra cleaning, more locker room space and special accommodations.
“Everyone is waiting for an official announcement of the details of the US Open and the rest of the season on the circuit,” the source said.
“But if these conditions for the US Open are what appeared in the press, as Simo has repeatedly said, it is unlikely to play,” the spokeswoman added.
Simona Halep always has an incredible support at the US tournaments, so her fans will be extremely disappointed.
Darren Cahill also spoke about the decision of the US Open organizers
Simona Halep’s coach, Australian Darren Cahill, told Reuters last week that the sanitary protocols are “incredibly difficult” and will probably not be accepted by our double champion at Roland Garros 2018 and Wimbledon 2019.
USTA and professional tennis players’ organizations are expected to provide more details on Wednesday about the tournament.
“Of course these conditions for the US Open may change and I understand that the players have until July to decide whether or not to sign up,” the spokeswoman said, stressing that “the situation is fluid and nothing it is decided one hundred percent ”.
World leaders Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty were also concerned about the protocols announced at the US Open, while Australian Nick Kyrgios said USTA was “selfish” when it decided to announce the organization of the US Open. this year of the Flushing Meadows tournament.